Monday, February 12, 2007

Health Update

Well, it looks like I will be having surgery again this March to remove part of a bone containing a nidus which is an "active" cell that is having a great time building up bone and causing me problems. I had this surgery done in 2000, but lucky me I get to be one of those people who has a reoccurance. I seem to be winning the lottery on things that are rare and happen to young people (or young mothers). I am an oddity with this whole thing becuase osteiod osteoma normally occurs in males (I'm female), in the long bones for example, femur (it's in my fibula), and with young people age 15-25 (I do fit this category, since I first started having problems when I was nineteen, had the surgery when I was twenty-two, and having been having continuing problems for the last few years that were just passed off as scar tissue build-up from the surgery). Here's some info about osteoid osteoma (in case you are interested).

Is Osteoid Osteoma malignant?
Osteoid osteoma is a benign bone-forming tumor. It has never been reported to turn malignant.
Is Osteoid Osteoma a rare bone disease?
It has been known since 1935. Although most doctors see patients with this condition infrequently, compared to other types of bone tumors it is relatively common.
Where does Osteoid Osteoma occur most frequently?
It is most frequent in the legs, especially the femur.
What age group is most likely to be diagnosed with Osteoid Osteoma?
Osteoid osteoma is usually found in children and young adults. It is rare in very young children (less than 3 years) and in adults over the age of 40.
What are the most common symptoms?
The tumors are painful. Pain is typically (but not invariably) worse at night. Although pain may be worsened by activity, it is not due to activity and also occurs at rest.The tumor may cause a marked inflammatory reaction in surrounding tissues, resulting in the feeling of swelling or a lump. The tumors usually are painful to the touch.
Can I take over-the-counter drugs for pain relief?
There is usually prompt pain relief with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory agents (such as aspirin and ibuprofen), but relief may be of variable duration.
http://www.massgeneralimaging.org/Osteoid_Osteoma_Site/NewFiles/FAQs.html

Fun stuff. I haven't had too much time to focus on me and ride the emotional rollercoaster because I have tons of other stuff going on. I took my GRE this past Saturday. I would like to have done better, but I had to get it done before getting the surgery. I signed up for it on Wednesday. I have been studying on and off since Dec., but I could have done better. I am also busy with school and those assignments, getting ready for my accrediation visit for work, and just being a mother, wife, etc. People have asked me how I keep up with everything and it's at those moments where I seriously wonder how I get it all done, since I am soooo not an organized person.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info. Hope this surgery will correct the issue forever!
    I love the picture you added.
    For not being an organized person you always get things done and get them done well. You will do great!
    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never even heard of that! Good luck with the surgery and everything you have going on right now- it amazes me how much you do! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the surgery will go well. I wish I was there to help take care of you!!! You are amazing with all you do! If you can believe it I have gotten real lazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know someone who had that surgery done last year. She had one of those bone tumor thingies where her hip and femur attach. They found it years ago but it just kept growing to the size where it became very painful with every step. Weird....good luck :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this again...I hope the surgery isn't too hard on you and that it solves the problem for good this time. I, too, had never heard of this, so thank you for sharing the info. Good luck with everything going on!

    ReplyDelete