Thursday, February 22, 2007

Weekend Getaway


We had a fast-paced relaxing weekend as we took a trip out of town to Atlanta. We left on Saturday to head up there. The drive wasn't too bad. It kept us on our toes with all the roads we had to take 12 miles here 4.9 here, 40 miles here. We didn't get to stay on one road till we hit I-85 in Montgomery. Funny thing about that, we didn't realize where we hit the interstate was Montgomery until the way back. We passed through Troy (I took a picture of the water tower for Karen :) ). This was where Aurora decided to get sick (I'm so glad she hadn't eaten breakfast yet!). I forget that my dearest daughter seems to have her daddy's sensitive inner ear and gets motion sickness. She has done this off & on when we go on long trips. Once we hit Atlanta (we made good time-about five and a half hours), we made out hotel arrangements and checked in. I love being able to put all James's points he earns from his trips to good use. We went to On the Border for dinner, ran to Target to get something to swim in, and back to the hotel for a swim before it closed. Our room was a suite with the bed seperated from a "living area". Logan looked around and asked "Where's the kitchen?". I think it must have reminded him of the TLF's at Tinker :) He also proceeded to claim the "big bed" and told James and I we could have the couch bed. Yeah, like I was going to give up the big bed.
Sunday morning we woke up and headed to the Aquarium. It is the world's largest aquarium. We touched the string ray, hammerhead sharks, horseshoe crabs, starfish, but no on wanted to touch the shrimp. Logan described the ray by saying it felt like a "mushroom". He didn't touch the shark, and was in Aurora's company. She was content to look ONLY. We spent three plus hours looking at the various places. The crowd pleaser was getting to see the whale sharks which is the largest fish. The biggest they had there was 22 feet, but they can grow up to 40 feet (if I remember correctly). Even though they are a shark, they have mouths like some whales, so they only eat plankton. Aurora got a whale shark stuffed animal (from her daddy's trip a couple weeks previous) and she would say "Look it's a whale. It's says 'Awooga, awooga'." She gets this from one of the Dora episodes where they help save a whale. My favorite part was seeing the penguins. They were too cute swimming around in the water. They had a cut-out where you could stick your head up and see the penguins up close, but we forgoed that because the line was too long. After the aquarium, we went to The Varsity to have dinner. The Varsity is a hamburger/hot dog joint that has been around since 1928. It is huge. We had chili cheese dogs, chili cheese hamburgers, onion rings, fries, and fried peach and apple pies. We headed out after that to get home late (about 10:45pm) It felt longer coming home than going. Admittedly, we did miss a turn so we added on about 15 miles, but it sure felt longer than that. It was nice to be home to have another day off-even if it meant we were up the next morning by 7 to get ready to head out to Pensacola by 8:30.

They were so sweet holding hands as we walked through.

4 comments:

  1. Fun trip! I love the pic of them holding hands, it's a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great trip! Maybe we'll get back that way soon! Who knows! I love the pic of the kids holding hands! How adorable! You should frame that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had fun weekend! The Girls love going to aquariums, we should do that sometime too! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to take Riley to an aquarium - I know he will love it, his favorite movie is 'Nemo' (he's been talking like a whale recently too! lol) Great pics...I can't believe how big Aurora is! So sweet them holding hands!

    ReplyDelete