Sunday, February 26, 2006
A LONG fire drill
Every month I do a fire drill with my kids that I keep, so on Thursday we have our monthly fire drill for February. I press the button as I normally do, alarm goes off and we head outside. Once we get to our meeting spot, I can still hear it. We got back inside and it's still going. Ok, something's not right. I mess with the button, but nothing is making it stop. I call ADT first because I figure if the alarm is goin off shouldn't they be calling? He gave suggestions on how to get it to stop and I learned that there is the fire alarm set up to contact them and then there are the alarms in the house that are connected to each other, but not to ADT. So still no luck at getting the darn thing to turn off. I try to take out the battery and disconnect it from the wall. After not having luck there, I call the Fire Dept (non-emergency line). He suggests a couple things and after those don't work, he lets me know he'll send someone out. (By the way the kids and I are in the back yard. They are playing while I'm on the phone-thank goodness the weather was nice). The Fire Marshall comes to our house and he takes out the battery and then disconnects it from the wall. It stops for him (I realize I put the battery back in before I took it off the wall and that's why it continued to blare). He puts the battery in and it starts to go off. So after all this (30 minutes of the alarm going off and poor Jedi howling in the bedroom) turns out that particular one is done. He suggested replacing that one with just a battery operated one or having ADT install more of theirs. He said the other ones would probably soon follow in that one's footsteps (the house was built in 97). I was done with hearing the sound, so did not test the others in the house. I'll save that for another time when I want to annony myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Wow, what an afternoon!!! You have way more patience than I do- I would have smashed the thing! That is great that you do fire-drills with all the kids! :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a day for you Belva!! I admire your patience!! I have never done a drill with my family. Something we need to do. In our new house we will!!
ReplyDeleteI, too, think it is so great that you do fire drills with the kids. Very nice! Glad the noise stopped finally!
ReplyDelete