by
Emily Perl Kingsley.
c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved
I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......
When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.
After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."
"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."
But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.
The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.
So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.
It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.
But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."
And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.
But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have just had to add a new "guidebook" to our journey. As we have our ups and downs of learning how to meet Logan's needs with his Optic Nerve Hypoplasia (ONH), we now have it confirmed that Logan has Asperger's Syndrome which is part of the Autism Spectrum Disorders. I have suspected it for a little while, so this summer we took steps to get him tested and just received the results this week. It's a relief in a way, because instead of thinking that everything is related to his visual impairments we now know what else causes some of his challenges and we now have more places to turn to and resources to utilize. On the other hand, it was really hard to have to deal with another "label". I especially feel bad because I am not the best social person and learning social skills will be an area that Logan will have to work on. James is a true strength as he tells me that nothing about Logan has changed. He is still the same amazing, wonderful, loving child. So now we have more resources to help him and can gain a better understanding of what makes him "him" and how to help him through school and life. We sure do love Holland:)




Thanks for sharing that! It is one of those things in life that you really will never truly understand unless you experience it for yourself. You are an amazing woman!
ReplyDeleteI recently had the honor of being around my friend who also has a special needs child. It was an amazing experience for me and my family.
ReplyDeleteYou are an amazing mom and Logan is a pretty cool kid!! You have always done whats best for Logan and nothing will change, not even another label.
We love you!
I agree with both Karen and Michele- you are doing a wonderful job as a mom to both your kiddos and will continue to do so. You provide Logan with the family life and love that he needs- that's what matters.
ReplyDeleteMy friend Kelly's son has autism and it was an eye opening experience for me, but when it all comes down to it- that was just a small piece to the puzzle, not who he was as a whole.
As we have already seen as we have watched Logan grow- he is a wonderful, smart, sweet little boy and that is who he is. Another label won't define him! Like you said- now you will have more resources available to you but you already know how to love him for who he is and that is what really matters! :-)
Belva,
ReplyDeleteI'm really glad you were able to share this with everyone. I've known you for a really long time and I know how strong you are, growing up you were always the strong one and you could stand up to anything you were never afraid to say no or stand up for what you believed in. I always admired you for that. Heavenly Father knows that you have that wonderful quality and thats why he has sent one of his most precious children to you he knows you will be able to take care of Logan and provide him with the things he needs. The only advice I can give you is to stay close to the Lord and ask for his help, he is there for you and he always will be. Your a very special friend, wife,& mother you are one of a kind.
Love ya,
Christy
I am a firm believer that life only gives you what you can handle. Although at times it may seem like a lot! Sounds like Logan is a very sweet boy and will continue to grow and mature with the wonderful family he has. It is great that you can now more fully understand how he thinks/functions and be able to help him even more!
ReplyDeleteAh, Logan the cutest little guy in Florida I know. I like Logan the way he is; stairs, bridges, directions to OK, mischivous, and all. We are lucky to have him in the famiy and BJ you are the best one for him. Since I am saying nice things about you and Logan better say Aurora is a cutey-pa-tootie. I love the stories you share about the two of them. I know the importance of football for James's so I wish his team the best of luck in all their games except against the Chargers. :)-
ReplyDeleteWhat a powerful post, Belva. The book excerpt really says a lot, what a wonderful way to look at things. It definitley sounds like you have the right outlook and that Logan is in great hands with you and James.
ReplyDeleteAs silly as it may sound, I actually heard about Asperger's Syndrome on America's Next Top Model on season, as one of the contestants, Heather actually, had it. I had never heard of it and learned a lot about how it affect at least this one person. I really liked her, and if you don't watch the show, she got really far! :)
Enjoy your trip to Holland, I can't wait to hear about all the wonderful places you get to visit!