Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dental Woes

It all started Monday night. Logan was complaining about his tooth hurting. He didn't eat, was running a slight fever, and terribly whiny and grouchy. He just wanted to have lemonade and go to sleep. After brushing his teeth and taking a look with my untrained eye, I knew we were going to have to go to the dentist. When he woke up Tuesday morning, the his left cheek was swollen. I called around (and called some folks for recommedations) and the one that was recommended had an opening Wednesday. I spiked his drink with Tylenol (he didn't think he needed medicine) and kept him home from school. I have put it off going to the dentist because Logan sees plenty of other doctors on a regular basis and I didn't think he would take too kindly to someone poking and proding in his mouth.
Well, the good news is that Logan did awesome at the dentist. The bad news is that he has an absest tooth and he's going to have to have it extracted. They'll need to put in a spacer about a month after the area has healed to keep the space ready for when his permanent molar comes in. She said the root is exposed and it has an infection. She said he must have got some food in it to cause such a problem over the last couple of days. Our appointment to get it out is on August 14. She gave him amoxicillian to take care of the infection. They do sedation there (one of the reasons why I chose them), but unfortunately that is out of pocket. It sucks, but Logan is horrible with needles, so that seems the best way to go.
How do I know Logan is bad with needles? We would soon find out (again) as we head over to the immunizations clinic to get him his shot he needs for school. He is doing fine going in, talking about the escalators and elevators ( I told him if he was good at the dentist we would go somewhere with them), but as soon as he realizes where we are going he starts talking about how he doesn't like "blood shots". I promised him 5 rides on the elevator or escalator (his choice) if he didn't cry. He cried, hooted, hollered, the whole scene. Needless to say, I was glad when that was over and he didn't get five rides. He did get one since he did well at the dentist.
Back to the dentist visit. I really like them. Very kid friendly. They explained everything as they went along. They had a TV to watch during the exam. Really nice offices. As I was checking out, I find out they are not in the network providers or whatever it's called with the insurance, so we did have to pay a little more, but after doing some research afterwards the difference is minimal (like $10), so I felt like I was willing to pay that for a nicer office, great staff with the kids, etc. I made an appointment for Aurora to get her teeth cleaned. Logan will have his cleaned while he is sedated for the tooth extraction. I'll try to get in to get my teeth taken care of, we'll have to see when I can get that done :)

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that he will have to go through all that! It sounds like you found a great dentist though so that will help! :-) Brooke is the same way with needles...I am dreading the back-to-school immunizations!!! (she gets that from ME!) :-0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Logan! We love you buddy, hang in there! Good luck Belva Jean. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH! Poor Logan! I have always been a freak about going to the dentist. My kiddos have been going since age 3. Jackson had to have a tooth pulled in AK and will have to get a spacer also. Braces for him. Jenna is lucky right now! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Belva - any dental questions and I'm your gal!!! Love ya

    ReplyDelete