Monday, April 30, 2007

Cruisin with crutches

Since it's been awhile since I last wrote anything, I figure I ought to do an update. I had my surgery!! Yeah!! It went very well. At our intial visit with the doc, we found out that I wouldn't need to get the fibulectomy (is that how it's spelled)-where they remove part of the fibula and put in allographed bone. It seems that while my bone does love to grow, this doctor here does not feel it was a tumor. After the last surgery, the way the bone healed, it made up for the portion taken out, added in a few bone spurs, was attached to some muscle and was on the tibia a bit (if I got that all right). They did try to do some alternatives to see if surgery could be avoided with some local anestheic, but it didn't make that much of a difference, so on with the surgery. We ran up to OK to see family (Have I mentioned my neice Josie was born on April 4?) and saw James's family and my brother Guy and his family (they are expecting their newest little one in November). Then back to San Antonio for the big day. I was put under with general anestheia and that worked out great. The doctor feels that this surgery should do the trick. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the biopsy results come back the way we want them to. They ended up not even keeping me overnight, so I was back at the TLF (temporary living facility-hotel on military base) to wake intermitantly to watch American Idol. I don't remember too much of it though. Next morning I was feeling great, so we went ahead with our original plan and headed back to OK to spend some more time. We stopped in Dallas at a swamp meet (car parts and stuff) I got a motorized cart and we got our $20 worth. By the end of our time there only James hadn't ridden on it with me. At one point I had Jedi in the basket on the front of the cart, Aurora sitting int the seat in my lap, and Logan on the seat in back of me. James did ride it after he dropped us off at the car to return it and pick up my crutches:) The next couple days of recovery I felt like crap-o-la. I didn't want to eat because I felt so nauseated and actually did get sick. Losing 3 pounds is about the only good thing that happens when you feel like that. I stopped taking the pain meds (percocet and ultram) and who would've guessed...I felt so much better! We took off the splint and now I am rotating my ankle and putting some weight on it. I walk around a bit without crutches for short distances (in the house), but I do get tired out kinda quick if I try to do too much. We even ventured out to the zoo with all the kiddos (except Josie). James got the raw end of the deal because he pushed me around in a wheelchair while Mom (Sue) and Mike pushed around the two strollers that at times ended up empty because all the older kids wanted to walk. We opted not to get the motorized scooter because it had to be back about an hour earlier than the wheelchair. Fun day! My next appointment is not until May 8th, so we'll be having fun elsewhere than FL:)

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that your surgery went so well! I am glad that you are able to do so much with your family too!! Keep us posted on your recovery and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad all went well! Keep us updated on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Can't believe how much you are doing so soon after surgery! That'a great! Definitely happy to hear that everything went well! Hope the recovery continues to go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete