Friday was a nice and stormy day. We'd been getting a lot of rain and it was pretty windy. No biggie though. I hadn't seen anything about it being severe thunderstorms with possiblities of tornadoes when I checked weather in the morning. So we're just doing our thing having lunch when I get a call from a parent. She tells me that she just heard on the radio that we are in a tornado warning. So I turn on the tv and radio to see how things are going. There is a quick blip on the radio and a runner across the bottom of the screen on TV. Must not be too much to worry about. They aren't breaking into their programming. I hurry the kids up with lunch just in case because it did say warning. I get a call from another parent about 15 minutes later and there has been a tornado sighted about seven miles east of us, but they didn't hear which way it was headed. After I get off the phone with her, maybe five minutes, the sirens start going off. So I gather my group of kiddos and make sure they all have their shoes on and proceed to have naptime in the hallway. I have all the stuff I need by me (just in case), and try to get the kids comfortable in the hall. We were in the hall for about 30 minutes before the sirens stopped and the news didn't report anything. I didn't hear anything on the radio. They just do not report the weather like they do in OK. I finally found something online that said the warning for our county would be over by 1230pm. They just do not take tornadoes as seriously as I do...I'm sure it's because I lived in OK for four years and had 2 that were too close for comfort. Amazingly enough, I had two of my four kids fall asleep while we were in the hall. Then Logan arrived home and all the kids went to sleep in the living room. I love naptime, but not with all the excitement. Luckily, the kids didn't even realize what was going on. I explained afterwards, but not until danger had passed:)

A picture of what my favorite time of day looks like on a normal day :)



Our tornado warning was later in the day, just after 3, at our squadron Halloween party, lots and lots of kids in a little hallway for 30 minutes. Gotta love it. Glad nothing too exciting happened.
ReplyDeleteWell at least it's not a blizzard and you aren't going to be trick or treating in 8 inches of snow!!!
ReplyDeletei miss tornadoes!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteClose call! At least you have sirens- we have started getting tornadoes here and there are no sirens! Yikes! Maybe they will start using the WW II sirens like they do for the volunteer firemen.
ReplyDeleteGlad it turned out to be nothing! I hated OK weather b/c of those darn tornados (and EVERY station being interrupted for a tornado 5 counties away!!) Every state has thier weather issues!! Glad you are all safe! :-)
ReplyDelete