Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The fountain of youth

To find joy in work is to discover the fountain of youth."
Pearl S. Buck
My day now starts between 5:45 and 6 in the morning. I crawl out of bed, get dressed in the dark (so as to not disturb others still sleeping) and wander out to the living room to check the house over and make sure everything is ready. My first kid arrives at 6:35. She is 13 months old and a sweetie. She is very quiet and entertains herself very easily. She has a smile that is contagious and I love it when she is excited about something. She does not hold back:) Next come my nine year old and almost 3 year old (two weeks to go). It is fun to have my nine year because she is in third grade and it brings back memories of teaching. I truly enjoy having conversations with her and helping her with her homework. My 3 year old is interesting. I am still trying to figure him out. I am used to having boys who love building block towers, playing with cars, etc. He likes to pretend, color, sing or just stick with me. My challenge with him is finding a way to get him started on an activity that he will continue. After that my 6 month old arrives. She is a bald baby :) Already in the two weeks since she has started her hair has grown, so if it's lucky it is 1/4 inch. She is starting to really get into the babbling and she lets you know about it.
We follow our routine each day and the kids are getting used to it. My favorite time of day (as always) is quiet time. I have my four little ones (including Aurora) take a nap after lunch. I think they look forward to napping as much as I do. Logan comes home from school around 12:45, so we have a chance to talk about how school is going before he heads to my room for quiet time (no nap for him).
Eventually everyone is back from school and we wind down the day. My day ends when the last one leaves and that is normally by 4:45pm. Each of these kids brings a special personality into my home. They each have their reasons for being here. I lucked out by being in the right place at the right time. Each day I look forward to what it will bring. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my weekends and day's off, I wouldn't want to do this 24/7 :) I reserve the 24/7 for my own two kids who are kind enough to be able to share their mom with others.

4 comments:

  1. Glad your enjoying it so much! It takes a special woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you must stay busy-busy!! It looks like you have some sweet kiddos, that makes all the difference! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you enjoy your job! Those kids are lucky to have you! I cannot believe Aurora's hair! If I didn't know any better I would think that was a wig!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a very special person! What you do is wonderful for all the children in your care as well as your own.

    ReplyDelete