Friday, May 16, 2008

Leaping Lizards

I don't mind lizards. Really I don't. The other day we caught one out in the back. It was extremely cute to see two little girls chasing this lizard. Aurora actually caught it after I had caught it and let it go. I think she was in shock that caught the thing and was holding it to have any type of reaction. She panics at the sight of a microscopic ant, so I was very surprised she was chasing it and actually caught it. Then Drake (my other kid till 4:30) caught it and held on to it while I ran to grab the camera. She held onto it for a while and then let it go and we watched it run for a while. All very fun and exciting. Of course the fun and excitment ends when the creature is inside.

On Wednesday, that same day, I'm vacumming after work is done and move a toy garage and see this lizard with a blue tale on my floor. It was bigger than the one we had caught outside earlier. I went grab a paper towel to pick it up and he had moved on. I looked for bit under different things to try and find him, but no such luck. I was paranoid that night as I walked around in the dark that I would step on the thing or that it would crawl in bed with the kids. I checked on the kids three times that night before I went to bed. I hoped that it would somehow find it's way outside.

No such luck. As I was sweeping the kitchen at the end of the day, I see his little head poking out from under my laundry room door. I get my paper towel and go to catch him. He runs as I open the door under some boxes in there. I move them around and almost grab him. He slips away and runs over my foot. Aurora who has come to see what the rucus is, starts to laugh hysterically as she hears me scream and jump around looking to see which way it went. It hid behind some tv trays, so I move those and scream/complain at it as I try and get it. Aurora continues to laugh at me. James arrives home around this time. I tell him to help me move the freezer because there is a lizard hiding under it. He says he'll catch it and I say sure you will. (He lets me do the cockroach killing/picking up, so why would he get a lizard). We move the freezer and the darn thing comes out on my side. I catch it and do a wimpy scream as I throw it out the laundry room door. James asks why I threw it out and didn't let him see. I show him where it is outside and let him know he is more than welcome to go look at it now that I am no longer in possession of it. He along with Logan and Aurora go and check it out thinking it looks very cool. Yeah, it looks great....now that it's not in my house!
This is a picture I found online of the lovely little creature in my home. After throwing it out of the house, I wasn't up to finding the camera to take a pic. It's actually a skink, not a lizard. Not sure what the difference is. I'll let you find that out on your own, if you are interested :)

5 comments:

  1. You are braver than I am!!! I am not good with anything like that- lizards, worms, bugs- NO way! I swear- God gave me 2 girls for a reason!!! I am just not good with crawlie things!!! :-o Good job finding out what it was and all the info on it! I don't know that I have even heard of a skink!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EWWW! But I am laughing at the thought of you screaming and jumping around! I would do the same thing! Come to think of it Jeff probably would too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would not want that in our house either! Adam has a bearded dragon in his room, but is has a cage with a TIGHT lid! That makes a funny story though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting adventure! LOL
    Not quite up my alley, but I can handle lizards and snakes MUCH better than bugs...but I'm getting over that little by little as my little BOY gets older and older!
    Neat looking 'skink' though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such adventures! That's my kind of thing. We had a skink living around our front yard last year but haven't seen him lately. I'm glad Aurora enjoyed him or her.

    ReplyDelete