Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Back to "normal"

I just looked at the ticker....has it really been two weeks since James got home? We are so happy to have him home.


Welcome Home


James arrived back home after a very long flight and two cancelled flights due to snow in Chicago. He was home later than we originally thought, but it worked out in our favor (for me anyway) so I had time to get dressed and make-up on after working half of the morning. The kids made a sign the night before with their hand prints in red and blue. They had also colored the words "Welcome Home Daddy" in red and blue. We bought balloons and a sign to to put at the house. We also bought three heart balloons and a welcome home balloon for him to receive at the airport. I bought a heart lei also so I could "lei" him at the airport, but forgot to bring it in. (It was a cute idea and he smiled about it in the car on our way home). Our good friend, Julie was able to be there along with some squadron personnel. Julie's hubby arrived later, so that was great he was able to make it. We waited till we saw him walking in his uniform. He looked so good :) Aurora was hesitant at first, but then walked up to him and gave him a big hug and a kiss. Logan, on the other hand, was being a bit of a show off and was "hiding" behind my legs saying "I'm shy". This would be my fault, since I had the kids "practice"earlier of what to do when they see daddy because "I didn't want them to be shy and hide behind me". Logan did give his hug and kisses after being a goof. After that, we headed off to baggage to figure out how to find his lost baggage and make sure it arrived back to us. That is some seriously expensive items that the airport does not want to lose!





Not exactly the plan...


So I take off four days from work to spend with James, and it did not turn out exactly as I planned. I had a doctor appointment on Thursday that I had to go to so that took up the afternoon. At least James was able to spend some time with Aurora while Logan was at school. James went into work on Friday to say "hi", have a welcome home lunch and get a couple other things done. (I'll skip the weekend and come back to that since that was fun). On the previous Tuesday, I had finally called in to the dentist to get my tooth seen which has been bothering me since November when I had a filling redone. They had an opening on Monday, so I took that and also changed Aurora's 6 month check up for that Monday. If I already have the day off and am going in, I might as well get as much done as possible :) I go in and after some x-rays and looking around, it looks like I need a root canal! Hmm, not my idea of fun. They make an appointment for the endodontist for that afternoon. I come home, eat some food and head back to the dentist with Aurora. The girl has five cavities! They called them "kissing cavities" since they are in between the molars for two sets of them. This would be due to our lack luster flossing abilities. We set up her appointment for Thursday when James can take her in to get her first one filled. She'll have to have two additional appointments to get the others taken care of. Somewhere during this, I called the endodontist and realized that I'm not just going in for a consult on getting a root canal, but actually getting it done! I take Aurora home, get some lunch for the both of us (James has to fend for himself) and then head out the door again. To be honest, the root canal went well. I don't know if I was just tired/emotionally exhausted, but I could have fallen asleep while they were doing it. I almost drifted a couple of times. I think that's a sign of a good doctor, if you could fall asleep while they are drilling in your tooth :) They weren't able to finish it up because it was inflamed. I had to wait till today to get the last part done. Next appointment will be in March to begin the build up and then another to put on the crown. Aurora will have her next appointment on Monday and then we will have to schedule another one. Thank goodness James is home to help out with our various teeth appointments! If you didn't know February is children's dental health month...get those kids in to get their teeth checked and don't forget to floss no matter what age along with brushing those teeth :)

5 comments:

  1. YAYYY!!! So glad James is home and all is back to normal! I am glad he got home safely! Love the sign- the handprints are super-cute! I know you are loving every minute of him being back- we are on the other end of it, enjoying every moment until B has to leave again!! They are lucky guys to have us for wives, that's for sure! ;-) Sorry to hear about your root canal but like you said, having James home to help with it all makes it so nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home James! So glad you are back. Love the pics!
    Sorry about the teeth issues--our house too! Same thing when our boys had theirs pulled at the same time---odd cowinkydinks.
    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad James is home safe and sound!! We are always having some sort of teeth issue. If it's not me then it's Jackson. Thankfully Jenna hasn't had any problems yet. I buy the kid size floss sticks and they floss with those! Try that out and see if they like them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Jim!!!
    Thanks for talking about flossing! I don't do it, I had even taken Mikayla to the dentist and they said nothing about it. Hmmmm...at least I know now. I didn't think you had to do it until you were older!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad he made it home safely! Very cute pics of his homecoming and signs!
    Root canal! UGH! That had to be the WORST experience of my life! Hopefully it was just a bad dentist, as it sounds like mine was worse than others I've heard about!
    Flossing my 3 year old's teeth!?!? Really!?!? Oh boy! How am I going to manage THAT one!? Thanks for the tip, I'll definitley have to figure out how now!
    Once again, so happy for you that the family is all back together again!

    ReplyDelete