Monday, July 31, 2006

New Faces

Since we have arrived we have been meeting many new faces. It is hard to keep up at times with all the names. My goal is to be able to remember all that we meet. I think I am doing pretty good so far.
Friday presented us with the opportunity to meet members of James's squadron at their Commander's call on the beach (of course). I actually met several people that he worked with the same day he did when he checked in to the squadron (a bit overwhelmed to be introduced to them before James had established himself in the squadron). He works with about 2/3 civilians which provides a different atmosphere than our previous place. So back to the commander's call, we had a potluck and I met some of the spouses that were able to make it, along with remeeting others. The food was great, but the kids kept my hands full, so I didn't make it back for seconds:( Logan loved playing in the water and is getting braver as he would make himself go underwater. A little scary for me that he is getting so comfortable. Aurora watched from the sidelines for a while and then braved the water and walked out (all by herself~no coaxing) into the water where we were. She is still timid, but is starting to enjoy it.
Saturday, we met Rocky. We had no idea that we had invited him to our house, but he came and has made himself at home. Actually, he lives here with his family (extended family also it seems). One day they all came rushing down a tree at the corner of the house and caught James off guard. He counted ELEVEN of these squirrels and since he started counting late there could be more. Rocky has come to partake of the pecans we have in a bucket outside our utility room door. We had forgotten about these pecans till we see Rocky showing no shyness as we come out the door and the shells he has left in his wake.
Sunday brought us to the neighborhood block party. We have already met several of our neighbors, but this brought quite a few more. It is so awesome to see everyone getting together, knowing each other, and helping each other out without a second thought. Our neighbor Lesette, two doors down, welcomed everyone to the best block to live on. I am really looking forward to our time here and hope that I can do my best to break out of my shell and get to know everyone. It'll be hard for me, but that is my goal. If everyone is really as nice as they seem, maybe it will go easier than I think. It was also so much fun seeing all the kids. There were a lot of kids. There are a lot of kids around Logan's age and Aurora's age. It is going to take some time to get used to that too, but I am so looking forward to seeing them play with the neighborhood kids!

3 comments:

  1. That all sounds great! Can't wait to see the pics. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good. It sounds like you not only live in a nice neighborhood, but you also have a nice squadron. I think that is key; surrounding yourself with other nice people. Glad its happening so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always so great to have wonderful people to be around. You'll do fine! Make some great friends!

    ReplyDelete